Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Voice of the theater only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Voice of the theater only

    Dance with wolves was one of the last film that I saw on a 50 foot wide screen single theater.
    The sound was so realistic that you were transported in the wilderness of this spectacular
    outdoor nature.

    No thumping bass or harsh sound effects. This movie would never sound the way it was supposed to sound on THX approved speakers. The only speakers fit for this film was the Altec A-4
    and it's surround speakers.


    ..................................

  2. #2
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    The first movie I saw with surround sound was Star Wars. I'm guessing at least three A-4's across the front, two A-7's for surround, and a pair of 620 cabinets (604's ?) for the people in the balcony. Been chasing that sound ever since. I wonder if playing the lottery would've been cheaper.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    I know the feeling. Every major city in North America should have one single screen theater
    with 70mm projectors showing 35mm prints blown to 70mm on first run movies.All equipped with 3 or 5 A-4.and Altec surrounds.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by LICORNE View Post
    Every major city in North America should have one single screen theater...
    ...and free concerts in the park on Sundays.

    And affordable doctors, honest lawyers, and trustworthy bankers.

    And a big, honkin' pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    ...and free concerts in the park on Sundays.
    Like the kiosk in Boston park

    24

    At night

    25

    Check this screen

    26

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    The IMAX theater at the port in Old Montreal is the only one that I knew, at the time, that used Altec gear. At the left and right of the giant screen hung a pair of A5s, the only visible speakers in the theater.
    There must have been other speakers, but hidden from view. Had a tour of the projection booth and was awed by the size of the 70mm film spools and the floor to ceiling racks of very large Bryston amps.
    Cheers

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by SD-50 View Post
    The IMAX theater at the port in Old Montreal is the only one that I knew, at the time, that used Altec gear. At the left and right of the giant screen hung a pair of A5s
    Cheers

    Place du Canada which opened in 1967 and closed in 1993 had 2 35 mm and 2 70 mm projectors 5 Altec A-4 and Altec surround . Total capacity 800 seats screen between 70and 80 feet wide.

    THe closest theater resembling Place Du Canada is the Gaumont Paris .

    27

    The other cinema was the Imperial Cinerama equiped with 5 Altec A-4 + surround ,opened
    in early 50's to late 60's now reopened with JBL speakers as historic monument.

    ..........................................

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Quote Originally Posted by notloudenough View Post
    The first movie I saw with surround sound was Star Wars. I'm guessing at least three A-4's across the front, two A-7's for surround, and a pair of 620 cabinets (604's ?) for the people in the balcony. Been chasing that sound ever since. I wonder if playing the lottery would've been cheaper.
    Since you're an Ohioan as well, I wonder if you refer to the Colony Theatre over in Shaker Heights. That is where I saw Star Wars as a teen. The movie had a long run there presented in 70mm dolby. HUGE curved screen, and although I'm not sure exactly what was behind it I'd bet big VOTT set-ups. I can say for certain that along the walls and in the back corners were 620 (either model 17 or 18) cabinets most definetly loaded with 604-8Gs.

    I still remember the sound.....fantastic! I did not yet have my own car.....and living on Clevelands west side I took a bus several times over to Shaker Heights to experience the movie again & again.....MOSTLY for the sound. Unbelievably loud....& crystal clear....bold....positively breath-taking. I could go on with superlatives but you all know what I mean.
    It's funny actually, to hear Lucas...George, that is...often comment in recent years about how he was so dis-satisfied with the sound quality his movie was being presented in back in the 70's but surely he must have been aware that some theatres were doing it right.
    I've heard quite a few of the newer "THX" cinemas in the past several years and can honestly say that none of them IMHO come even close to what I experienced back in '77/'78 at the Colony theatre. I cannot put my finger on exactly why....THX does sound good.....very good....but a properly set-up cinema back in the 70's such as I've described has a magic all it's own. I'm just not technically savy enough to know what the difference is....yet I'm aware of it.

    I also went to see the Bee Gees version of "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" at a west side theatre in the late 70's. Lousy movie.....and I knew it going in. I only went for the big array of 604-8G's/H's up front & all around the room!

    Russ

  9. #9
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    Yes Russ, it was the old Colony Theater. The sound was the best. I looked it up once, and now I think it's a sixer. If it's still open.
    I remember one set of A-7's on the sides or am I mistaken? (gettin' old) I don't remember seeing what was under the balcony or on the back walls. Don't remember looking. I'll talk to a friend of mine and see what was exactly installed there,
    Oh! and i'm as far east as you are west.
    Keith

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Voice of the theater only

    In the Altec Library at the Lansing web site the last VOTT CATALOGUE DATES BACK TO 1983. THE SUBSEQUENT catalogue were called MARK IV cinema system. If any one besides
    HOLLYWOOD CINEMA CONTRACTORS have these brochures please let us know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.